Projects for Digital Art change the most over time compared to my other classes. I like to stay fresh, although there are some definite keepers. If I feel a need for a change, I usually visit Pinterest or Behance to see what might inspire. In this case, I am cross-pollinating with a project I do with my Design I class. Accordion books are simple to construct with just enough craftsmanship issues to give a beginning student a run for their money. X-acto cuts must be accurate. Binding must be accurate. Black matboard covers must be just a hair bigger than the print. In this project, I had the student pick their own theme and placed a limit on page numbers (12). They could use either or both Photoshop and Illustrator to complete. Template for printing was provided on Tabloid cardstock. I find it holds up and stands up better than 20lb. paper. These gems are from Spring 2018 class. Enjoy.
Holiday Web Flyer: December, 2013
Nothing excites me more than getting a special request from the president of Northwest campus. Well, in this case, excites comes with a little stress. But it is one of those situations in which she has full confidence in me to produce something wonderful. It’s good to have the president of your school in your corner.
If I remember correctly, the yellow/gold color for the flyer took me forever to nail down. Incidentally, I wasn’t thinking yellow at all. I don’t know what I was thinking. I was trying every color using Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and didn’t like anything I was getting. This final was by pure accident and the gold look came out because of the crumpled paper texture I was using…BONUS! You know I can’t stay away from Blending Modes.
The white of dove and school silhouette, as well as the glowing golden rings have a subtle drop shadow that take on the look of cut paper. Another happy solution.
The Holidays are upon us. Always be thankful for who you have in your lives. Love them and keep them close.
Jeff Forster Poster: October, 2013
If the work is interesting enough, it should make the poster. I wanted to present the title as if it were projected onto the piece. The slight distortion to the type is thanks to a displacement map.
I like adding quotes from the artist statement. It adds a personal touch. A hint to the viewer. A clue. Something to say… “hey! You! You may relate to this. Come and see the rest of my work.”
I remember this show. The pieces were heavy. Special custom mounts were made for the pieces to hang on the wall. If they had fallen, the marble beneath would have felt it.
I have always been attached to atmospheric firing, but sadly as much as I want to build a soda/salt kiln in my backyard, the city of Fort Worth has codes. I’ll have to purchase some land out in the country somewhere. Wish. Wish.
Registration Poster Series, November 2015
Remember the background. Don’t leave it alone. Don’t leave it as an afterthought. I was tasked with creating posters for spring registration. I wanted to start with the background patterns. Theme was based on arcs, circles and lines with rounded caps. I do have my favorites color combinations, but I can’t help myself when it comes to adding texture in Photoshop. I am a sucker for Blending Modes. With a simple brown paper bag and a camera you can get some really interesting things. Some of the posters glow and I love it. If you haven’t played around with Blending Modes in Photoshop yet. Do it! You don’t know what you are missing. It make the most flat work have depth and dynamism.
More importantly though is that they are working. I teach 2 of the classes here and I have already recruited students for next semester.
Look how far I’ve come. When I got to Tarrant County College in 2010, this was the poster I designed for registration. I remember thinking that the artwork should play center stage and nothing should distract from it. I was also new here, scared to take risks. Scared to offend. Even now I do still think some of that is still present, but I have to consider my audience. Most want it legible and thats it. Short and to the point. And so, I went with white. It seemed safe. In hindsight, it seems sterile and clinical. I can’t believe seeing these side by side. What a leap!