Projects for Digital Art change the most over time compared to my other classes. I like to stay fresh, although there are some definite keepers. If I feel a need for a change, I usually visit Pinterest or Behance to see what might inspire. In this case, I am cross-pollinating with a project I do with my Design I class. Accordion books are simple to construct with just enough craftsmanship issues to give a beginning student a run for their money. X-acto cuts must be accurate. Binding must be accurate. Black matboard covers must be just a hair bigger than the print. In this project, I had the student pick their own theme and placed a limit on page numbers (12). They could use either or both Photoshop and Illustrator to complete. Template for printing was provided on Tabloid cardstock. I find it holds up and stands up better than 20lb. paper. These gems are from Spring 2018 class. Enjoy.
Registration Poster Series, November 2015
Remember the background. Don’t leave it alone. Don’t leave it as an afterthought. I was tasked with creating posters for spring registration. I wanted to start with the background patterns. Theme was based on arcs, circles and lines with rounded caps. I do have my favorites color combinations, but I can’t help myself when it comes to adding texture in Photoshop. I am a sucker for Blending Modes. With a simple brown paper bag and a camera you can get some really interesting things. Some of the posters glow and I love it. If you haven’t played around with Blending Modes in Photoshop yet. Do it! You don’t know what you are missing. It make the most flat work have depth and dynamism.
More importantly though is that they are working. I teach 2 of the classes here and I have already recruited students for next semester.
Look how far I’ve come. When I got to Tarrant County College in 2010, this was the poster I designed for registration. I remember thinking that the artwork should play center stage and nothing should distract from it. I was also new here, scared to take risks. Scared to offend. Even now I do still think some of that is still present, but I have to consider my audience. Most want it legible and thats it. Short and to the point. And so, I went with white. It seemed safe. In hindsight, it seems sterile and clinical. I can’t believe seeing these side by side. What a leap!
Four Walls Poster: November 2013
Simple and to the point. I could have skewed the type in program (either Illustrator or Photoshop), but the romantic notion of “hands-on” tempted my heart. Four Walls is a concept for an exhibition whereby 4 student artists are chosen to create a work of art on one of our four gallery walls. Lakeview gallery, Tarrant County College Northwest.
Though simple, this is probably the poster I am most proud of. Yes, it is up there. I think because it is an elegant solution to what could be a complex problem if you were to use software only. As you can see, there were a number of configurations for the foam-core walls. I chose to a configuration that honored the same placement in the gallery. After importing the photo in computer, I had to sell the type as transparent. So, the foam-core became like a maquette of sorts–guiding type I would create in program (Illustrator).
I was loads of fun to do and I am so pleased with the outcome.
Mandala Project: November 2015
I teach Art Appreciation from a studio perspective. I believe it makes what might be a boring class into a class that is exciting and interactive. In this, we cover artists and materials artists use. This is one of those projects that you have in your head, but haven’t road tested it in class. The students are guinea pigs in essence. I get excited in these situations and even more excited when the projects turn out better than expected. Students handed in designs on folded paper (pic 1). Then I used Illustrator and Photoshop to help crop(pic 2) and clean up/finalize(pic3). As we also covered basic color theory in the same class, we will color the mandalas next time. Looking forward to it.
Here are some examples of student work: